Full stack Rails Developer Wanted
About the business
Circle Software develops a SAAS application for bookshops. Circle started in New Zealand and has a growing community in Australia. We have developers around the world and are looking for someone to join us in Christchurch.
About the role
Ideally we would like a developer that can work between dev ops/system admin and Rails backend development we use the google cloud environment and kubernetes so would like someone that is familiar with this. Code quality and best practice processes are an important part of this role.
Benefits and perks
You will be working on a product, so are free from clock watching and billable hours. The position is based in Christchurch but we offer the possibility to travel and work. It is a relaxed environment and in a best practice way. You will have significant input into the product and direction. If needed we can possibly also provide accommodation.
Skills and experience
CURRENT DEV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGY
- Pivotal Tracker for project management
- NewRelic for performance analysis
- GitHub for source control
- Circle CI, GIT Actions and Semaphore ci for automated tests and deploy
- Rspec for automated tests
- Rails on MySQL
- Elastic Search
- Ubuntu web servers hosted in kubernetes
- C++ for the Point Of Sales Client
- Vue JS
- Generally Mac or Linux for the desktop environment
YOU MUST HAVE
- A good command of and Solid experience with Ruby/Ruby on Rails, MYSQL, be committed to and apply programming best practice.
- Familiarity with Linux web servers and ideally Kubernetes.
- Know how to build automated tests using RSPEC test framework.
- Design and maintain SQLServer Databases and be able to review and optimise sql queries to improve database performance.
- Be reliable and produce tidy code
- Good communication skills in English
IDEALLY SHOULD HAVE
- Development experience with a large scale SAAS application for business.
- Experience with Google cloud servers
NICE TO HAVE:
- c++ experience
- An eye for design and experience with design programs
- Skills in on page SEO
- An understanding of the retail environment or retail systems.
When you apply talk about you experience in relation to the points above in your cover letter.
- Bachelor of Science, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- At least 1 – 2 years work experience programming in Rails.
Send applications to email@example.com
- List your experience in relation to the points above and systems we use
- Answer the following problem inline in your application. Applications that don’t have this will be ignored.
Problem To Solve
Write best practice code in JS or Ruby (depending on the job you are looking for) to calculate the check digit of an ISBN13 barcode
The algorithm is:
Take each digit, from left to right and multiply them alternatively by 1 and 3
Sum those numbers
Take mod 10 of the summed figure
Subtract 10 and if the end number is 10, make it 0
Example for 978014300723:
(9×1) + (7×3) + (8×1) + (0×3) + (1×1) + (4×3) + (3×1) + (0×3) + (0×1) + (7×3) + (2×1) + (3×3)
86 mod 10 = 6
10 – 6 = 4
Therefore the complete ISBN is: 9780143007234